Originally Posted on The Baby Gizmo Co. on January 28th, 2011
In December Belgium banned all foam puzzle mats on the grounds that they have cancer causing chemicals. Toxicologist Alfred Bernard explained:
“They are solvents, residues from the manufacturing process that stay in the product afterwards. They can be absorbed through breathing or through the skin. As a rule, children should not be exposed to these products.”
Most think it won’t be too long before the EU bans the foam mats as well. Babycheapskate shared a very interesting link this morning that we thought was worth sharing with our readers as well. SAFbaby has made a chart of the most popular playmats here in the US. The chart details the companies response to whether their mats are formaldehyde free and if they are releasing the lab results to the public. See the chart here.
I have a One Step Ahead mat that I adore. Its thick and sturdy enough that I have actually made foam blocks out of the puzzle pieces. I am hoping One Step Ahead will follow suit and release their lab results soon to ease my mind about the mats contents.
No comments:
Post a Comment